WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Eight hours in Dublin, Rome or New York

I read travel forums from various sites like Travel Advisor. There is often a post that asks, "I will be in ____ for eight hours during a cruise where do I go?" or "I will have half a day in _____ during a trip, the best places to visit?"

It is understandable that people might like to see the highlights of a place on a stopover, but we have a belief (from first hand experience) that you will see and remember more by getting a video.

It may be important to you to say that your saw the Tower Bridge or the Pantheon, but  you really didn't see London or Rome.

If I had an eight hour stay in one of these places, I might take a Hop On Hop Off bus, but more than likely I would go to a local pub, bar or cafe and sit and talk to the people. I do not travel just to see things. I travel to meet people, to hear stories, to listen.

This is obviously a matter of style, but Dublin is wonderful, not because of the Book of Kells, but because of Irishmen enjoying life in Dublin. I can "see" the Grand Canal in Venice on Rick Steves. I can only talk to a Venetian in Venice.

No comments:

Post a Comment