WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Donatello's David

As a follow up to the last post, I thought I might refresh memories by posting this. Donatello's David (bronze) was gilded. It is in the Bargello Museum in Florence, Italy. It appeared to me, standing beside it, that is was life-size for a young boy. It is not large. At the feet of the sculpture is Goliath's head. It was done in the middle of the 15th century.
 
Notice the bottom picture's background. I would have sat on the step at that window for another hour if I did not have to move on. I kept thinking that it could not be true that I was there and there is nothing to keep me from touching the sculpture -- except good sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment