WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Sunday, December 14, 2014

On not looking like a tourist

     So, you don't want to look like a tourist? Do you dress like a Mountie when you go to Calgary, Canada? You might not look like a tourist, but you will look silly.
     When we first decided to go to Ireland (IE) I went out and bought a wool tweed jacket. I figured that I would look Irish that way. Dumb. I did not see many tweed jackets on people. I was sweaty all the time in the heat and other things gave me away.
     People's shoes are a give away as is the way we walk. In Rome I did not have to even get to my first hello and they started speaking English to me. I look American  and I walk like an American.
     It is okay to be a tourist. You are one. You likely will not blend in even if you want to. Just be a nice ambassador from the United States.
     Some people from the United States even try to pass themselves off as Canadians as Canadians are well liked around the world. But, I say leave your red Mountie jacket at home and just be yourself at your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment