WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Thursday, June 14, 2018

What to bring back besides great memories

          Opinel knives are as French as things can be. Joseph Opinel introduced it in 1890 and I have always wanted one. When I was younger I saw romantic leading men, in movies about France, out on picnics cutting bread and cheese for some beautiful woman along the Seine. The knives are very sharp and fold. They have a special twist band that holds the knife in the open position. It was my choice (along with a Tour de France water bottle) to bring home. My wife brought home a scarf with a Galleries Lafayette tag sewn in. Not much else.
      I know a woman who brought home a table, chairs and a chandelier from Venice. I brought home a wine glass from Murano. 
      One month in Ireland and I brought home a Celtic ring - I bought it as a way of keeping my wedding ring from falling off - and dozens of free beer coasters. I like free beer coasters.
     I did not bring anything back from Spain. 
     I bought some baskets in a market in Zambia. They needed the sales. I use them every day.
    I am not one who says not to bring anything home - except model Eiffel Towers made in China - but I also know that you would have hard work to find souvenirs in our house.
     One of our favorites, however, is a book of pressed flowers gathered from around Scotland. 
     What have you brought home from your trips? 4000 photos? A sunburn? A set of English China?
     

No comments:

Post a Comment