WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

America could learn from other countries, but not Japan


     The photo I took above is not just a plate of Olives, it is a way  of life. The photo also does not show two glasses of wine. These are tapas and it was around two pm in Barcelona.
     Let me explain. The Japanese almost delight in falling asleep over lunch or dozing during a concert, For them it is a symbol of how hard they work and how little sleep they get being productive. Those of us in the US are not quite that bad, but I realized that at work I rarely have taken my breaks and now that I am employed by someone else they MAKE me take a whole half hour lunch break. They make be clock out. I wondered why I hated that time clock.
      Tapas is an afternoon stop to recharge. It is similar to English Tea. Both are very civilized. They have us halt in the heat of the day. For most people there is not talk of work like our business lunches in the US. It is talk of family and hobbies or maybe a little gossip. 
     When tea or tapas are over, it is back to work. Hopefully refreshed, but at very least rested.
     Why do we work? I work to make my life and the lives of loved one better. I do not think that it should seem like a race to retirement or death. I should not only make money, I should find enjoyment in being productive. Tea and tapas help people enjoy their lives and work a little better.
     We could learn a good deal from those who do these important acts in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment