WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Tips on International flights and flights in Europe



There are many opinions about which airline is better and what to do to make flying more enjoyable. This brings me to wish to give my 2 cents, 2 pence or a Euro's worth of opinion. I like Virgin Atlantic and Air France the best of the carriers we have used to or from Europe. I have not tried Swiss Air which I also hear is excellent. The worst experiences have been on Air Italia with Aer Lingus being a close second.

My judgments are based on three factors: 1) The airlines' desire to give good service, 2) consideration for the customer and 3) communication. The food on most airlines is fine with me. None of the planes have enough legroom. I prefer flying in an Airbus, but most of the planes are the same in general. All I ask is that the airline realize that I want to be somewhat rested when I get to my destination and help me stem jet lag. I want them to honor my seat assignment because I work hard to get the one I want. Finally, while I feel like I am a cow in a cattle car, try to make it a little more bearable for 12 hours.

I have to do my share. I do not hog the armrest or keep getting up from my place near the window and I come prepared.

Neosporin in my nostrils keeps them moist and I believe helps me avoid a cold. A book keeps me interested in something other than how many miles are left to go. I wear clothes that give. I wiggle my toes and wag my feet to ward off blood clots. I wear a jacket that can serve as a throw or a pillow. I do not need either from the airline that way. By bringing an empty water bottle and filling it AFTER security at the airport you can stay hydrated. If you have trouble sleeping try Benadryl, Xanax or Antivert. Virgin Atlantic passes out eyeshades and earplugs, but on other planes bring your own.

I promise not to talk loudly or to wake others up unless it is an emergency.

Short flights within Europe are --well-- short. They will be on smaller planes. Bring gum to chew as it is straight up and then down  with hardly any level flight time. Wear comfortable shoes as there are rarely ramps and usually steps and a long walk to the terminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment