WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Friday, April 25, 2014

Conde Nast Traveler Magazine Questionnaire

The Conde Nast Traveler Facebook site is one of many travel sites that I receive. Recently they had a series of questions about places we have been and airlines we had taken in the recent past. It got me thinking about air travel and future plans.

Certainly I always have a itch to go somewhere other than Costco. I like long flights and getting far away. We often take short trips of 600 miles or so, which I suppose are long for other folks. But, I like the big adventures. We are looking at trips to Spain, France and South Africa just now. Only time will tell how well we do at making our bucket list shorter.

In any case, we will have to fly. Boats are not for me and one cannot exactly drive to South Africa. I am becoming more and more critical of airlines because I believe service is dropping. I can understand that many people cannot afford huge fares which will yield large profits, but the answer is not maintaining profit at the cost of comfort and concern. Airlines like Ryanair are low cost up front but add on this and that until it is the same for an average passenger. (No, they do not charge to use the toilet.) Many other airlines do the same thing. Who do they think they are fooling?  Sure, if you have little luggage and bring bottled water and don't need a pillow, you can go cheaply.  However, flying any distance at all is stressful and tiring for me. I need more.

Air France just goes ahead and charges a reasonable rate and gives adequate services. That is true with most top carriers.

Just tell me a flat fee and I will decide whether I can afford it or not. If not, I'll stay home. Just don't think you are fooling me with a low fare plus luggage, food, boarding, seat selection, blankets, headsets, and on and on.

No comments:

Post a Comment