WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Choose something cheap to collect. Notting Hill

 Portobello Road Flea Market, London UK
     As a member of the clergy I was encouraged to start collecting "church keys" years ago. As you may know a "church key" is used for opening beer cans or bottles. They are available world-wide.
     I have been to church rummage sales in Scotland, Irish Charity Shops, the Vatican Gift Shop, and even stores in Biloxi, Mississippi, along with flea markets in many other countries. In these places I attempt to buy antique or just used beer openers. I never pay over $1 US or $1.5 pounds or $1.5 Euros.
     My collection is now at over 400. Many of the openers were either gifts or just found objects. I prefer old ones although I have two with pictures of Popes on them for which I made exceptions.
     I do not really drink beer, but I like to go into thrift shops and look around. When they ask me what I am looking for I tell them beer openers. It is an excuse to shop and snoop. I am actually happy not to find anything to buy (unless I happen upon a treasure).
     You can learn so much about an area by looking at their cast-offs.  I would not learn much if I only went to art galleries.

No comments:

Post a Comment