WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Monday, October 5, 2015

European Pickpockets

I was walking down hill from Montmartre in Paris when I saw this lively window. I stopped to take a picture.  It was at that moment I felt something brush my right rear pocket. I turned around and there stood a young man looking at a map. I announced loudly to everyone "pickpocket!" and the man with the map plus two others near us took off in various directions.
     There are many pickpockets in major cities around the world. That is also true in the United States. It is especially true in European capitals. People from the Eastern Bloc and gypsies come in and the only work they find is often illegal. Certainly that is not true of all of them. But, many women and men along with specially trained children see an American from a mile away. Camera in hand, distracted by the view, wallet in back pocket or insecure purse - we are targets.
     Before going to another city or country I do research and even watch YouTube videos. In Italy and in Paris I am particularly aware of how pickpockets work.  I use a dummy wallet in my right rear pocket. Nothing there except business cards and maybe a map. The pocket has a button. real valuables are in one of my zippered front pockets or in a money belt. I do carry an across the body camera bag (doubles as a man-purse).
     I watch for men reading maps and women with clipboards or even babies. They come close and if you look down you see the map or clipboard or baby and do not see their other hand...
     Been a traveler a long time and I sure as heck scared those three fellows with my wallet on their minds. Still, even the most careful can fall victim. Do not carry much money. Have money and credit cards split between pockets or people. Use a money belt especially for your passport. Do not be paranoid, be aware of your surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment