WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Pickpockets in Europe

     So, you find yourself in a crowd and there is something going on to get your attention. You are not thinking about the people around you.  A well dressed  man bumps you and says, "excuse me" or a little kid asks for Euro coin, or an old lady in black wants you to sign a petition, or a young woman hands you her baby (not kidding)... you may be a target for a pickpocket.
     In the picture above the man on the lower left has a camera bag with a cross body strap, that is good. The camera is at this back that is bad.
     Women (and men with cameras) should use a a cross body strap and keep their arm over the purse or case.
     This is what I do. I make a fake wallet out of my handkerchief and an old wallet and put it in my right rear pocket. I put one credit card and my daily cash in a thin wallet in my front pocket - most of mine have zippers too. One time in Paris, a man in a suit and tie pulled the dummy wallet. I turned and yelled "pickpocket" at the top of my lungs and three men ran away.
      There is not much violent crime in Europe, but people come in from the Eastern Block and do pick pockets.
     If you are with someone, divide your credit cards between you. Have enough cash for one day (there are ATMs everywhere.)  Keep your valuables in your front pockets, wear an old watch, not our new Rolex. Dress modestly. Keep your jewelry  to a minimum. Do out carry your passport, carry a photo copy. Leave valuables in the hotel safe.
       I own several money belts and hidden pouches, but my favorite is a sport coat with all of the pockets on the inside. saves me from carrying a backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment