WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The Royal Palace, Madrid Spain

     On a warm summer day, those men with the white buckets are selling cold water bottles in front of  the Royal Palace in Madrid. The king does not live there. It is not a modern home and the king is modern. 
     But, it reminds me of the conversation I had with another fellow traveler. I mentioned this palace or another one - I do not remember which - and he said that he is through with palaces, He has seen too many. I am not sure how I feel about that. The art I encountered in the Doge's Palace in Venice was worth the crowds. The Palace of the Alhambra was very different. I am partial to Balmoral.  But, I am not drawn to palaces. I am drawn to small street cafes and old pubs. I enjoy museums, but I like hanging out with old citizens rather than artifacts. I learn more from an Irish university student than from Irish linen.
     The comment just makes me remember why I travel. I travel to encounter culture - the people in their every day lives. That might be in a palace or in a pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment