WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Let's talk air travel

     I only chose this photo because it is one that shows the state of the art. The A380  is the biggest and finest in aircraft. Nothing against Air France specifically.
      Last week United Airlines made an unscheduled stop in Goosebay, Canada where the flight crew stayed in a hotel and the customers where put up in an unheated barracks.
      Aer Lingus may be getting better, but on the last flight I had with them they never turned off the lights so they could sell duty-free cigarettes.
      Alitalia felt no problem with splitting up families when their computer lost the seat assignments. Business class? ... sorry you will go to economy this time.
     The profits are up and the space is down and now they want to make the carry-on luggage allowance smaller so you either carry less or pay, say $50, to check your carry-on.  Many airlines have cut down the number of flights and thus fill every seat.  First Class seats get bigger and more expensive and economy seats get smaller and more expensive.
     I can afford First Class, but why should I? Do I want to pay $2,000 more for a 10 hour flight? That is $4,000 for a couple and just think about what you might buy with that. That is lots of peanuts and drinks and will pay for some really great meals. I cannot sleep in flight anyway so it matters not that my seat makes into a bed.
      Airports, for the most part, are pretty and welcoming, but the feeling one gets is more and more like the old bus depot. It is not fun.
      I have flown over a dozen airlines regularly in the last 50 years. Only a few of them make me feel comfortable and hardly any of them make me feel like I am getting a good deal. I think that they know that I cannot drive my car to Austria from San Francisco. Are we stuck? Guess so.

No comments:

Post a Comment