WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Favorite spots: A pass in the Italian Alps

     There is something going around on the Internet asking for folks to post photos of favorite places. I have been doing that a long time. For me the answer has not changed. Although I have a good many places that I love, return to, and recommend, The Dolomites of the Sud Tyrol in the Italian Alps is my happy place. It is just different. The people are super (they speak Italian and German and some English) and warm. The regional food is good. The mountains are remarkable (and this is from a guy who lives close to Yosemite National Park, USA). This is the home of Pinot Grigio wine (my wife's favorite).
     I tell a story about this photo. We are at the top of a pass at a roadhouse. People from all over stop in the sun and have a drink (which I did not think smart as the road is narrow and winding).
     Usually, when we want to have our photo taken, I look around for someone that looks like I can communicate with them. They almost always are French. No matter where we are I tend to pick a Frenchman/woman. So, I ask this man with words and hand signals to take our photo. Alas, he and his wife were touring by motorcycle with an Irish guide. The couple was from the southern part of the USA (we could sort of communicate) and as nice as they could be. I could even talk to the Irish Guide and compared favorite notes on the Atlantic Coast of Ireland.
     We made three friends we likely will never see again. Maybe. But, this is why we travel. We collect friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment