WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Thursday, July 2, 2020

Travel after having Polio

  
   
     This is me at an abbey along the Danube, last October.
     I always warn folks that I am slow, and it is a little easier traveling with my spouse and a grandchild as they understand.  But, my disease slows me down.
     That is not my walker behind me. I use a cane or two walking sticks to help me get around. Sometimes the pain is hardly there and other times I just have to beg off a hike or visit.
     Mostly I have pain and muscle changes in my legs, but often my arms and hands hurt as they are called upon to make up for the weakness in my legs.
    Thankfully a group to which I belong is spending millions of dollars and countless hours so that no one else will ever get the disease. It is almost gone around the world. I may have been one of the last to get it.
     It has taught me a great deal and made me more sensitive to others.
     The older I get, the harder it is to fake being energetic. The COVID-19 virus has taken away the gym and physical therapy. I do my best. I have misplaced my smile sometimes.
      Blessing on all of you as you overcome barriers to travel,  And, while some folks do not look disabled, cut them some slack - thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment