WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Pictures of foreign food

Girl eats pizza in Normandy, France (no they do not cut it)
     I must confess that I am not drawn to pictures of people eating whether those photos are on Facebook or a blog. Food is meant to be consumed not photographed. 
     People will post a picture of an awesome dish from some cafe that I have not been to nor will likely go to. Just tell me about it, don't send glossies.
      However (there is always an "however") I'd like to mention my feelings about foreign food. First, for all of you that say that English food is not very good, I disagree. I like it. Especially the meat pies. If you don't like traditional English food, the UK has plenty of great other places to eat. Like Indian food eaten on Rathburn Street a few blocks from the British Museum - wow.
     I would also say that nothing beats a full English or Irish Breakfast. I am allergic to fresh tomatoes so I have to pass on them, but the mushrooms, black and white puddings, bacon (Canadian bacon or ham), eggs, and toast (plus fruit) add up to spectacular. Okay, the porridge is not my favorite, but you have to ask for it.
    The black pudding is also known as blood pudding and I love it. If you do not, it is because someone told you what is in it. Like  haggis.
      There is something grand about haggis especially when regally presented.  Even when it is just dropped on a plate I like it. Sure, I know what is in it. Did you ever see a cow butchered? If you have, you have seen worse, and I will bet you still eat steak.
     The Italians know comfort food. The best meal I have had was in Austria. One of the worst was in Liechtenstein, but that was the fault of the cook not the country. 
     Escargot, of course, is snails cooked in garlic butter or some other way. Snails, in themselves are not tasty, but Escarot is about the sauce. 
     Yes, I have eaten lots of Chinese food that I loved until I found out what it actually was, so I stopped asking. That goes for a whole bunch of things. I can only imagine that some Chinese folks would have trouble eating a hotdog if they knew what was in them.
    So, I like to try most everything, and there are foods I don't like - such as peaches and fried grasshoppers. Something about the texture. 
     Bon Appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment