WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Greenland as seen from 35,000 feet


   The first airplane flight I ever took was one from San Francisco to Los Angeles on Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA). I was going on a job interview. It was 47 years ago. I took an aisle seat and tried to forget I was up in the air. I was scared.
      I am not sure how many flights I have taken as of today, but I have moved closer to the window so I can look out, and hopefully see things from the air that I have never seen before.
     The photo above was taken on a flight back to San Francisco (SFO) from Dublin. Those flights go over Greenland. It was a clear day and the earth appeared to be a series of white circus tents. 
     One thing you notice is that Greenland is not green and Iceland is not just covered in ice.
     I actually plan flights (especially connecting flights) over certain areas during the day so I can see them from the air. It does not always work. I planned a flight from Verona Italy to Paris (CDG) for early afternoon because the flight goes right over Mount Blanc. It was the cloudiest, rainiest day over Switzerland. Darn.

No comments:

Post a Comment