WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Up, up and away

     I did not take this photo. It is either a stock photo or belongs to Air France. However it is a photo of an A380, a two story, 500+ passenger airplane that needs two gangways for passengers to get on and off. We flew in one to Paris last July and sat in Economy on the bottom floor. I describe it like it was a building because it is huge compared to anything I have ever flown in before.
     We have done all of the big planes starting long ago with the L-1011 and the DC-10. I've flown in plenty of small aircraft too. My assessment of all of them is that Economy stinks. I am too big for the seats. They are not meant for a guy over 6 feet tall. Most of the planes - and especially the Delta flight I took last - have little padding for my rear. I had to sit on my pillow and blanket. Yes, I know I was fortunate to even get a pillow and a blanket.
     I swore I would never fly coach again when I got back from Italy, but premium economy is not much bigger and I am too cheap for business class. It costs better than $2,000 more to fly business class and it is a 10 hour flight to, say, Amsterdam.  By flying coach I am making - or saving $200 an hour. That is $2,000 I can spend on other things (and I do). Yet, I am wondering when my body will stop the madness. I don't need a bed as I cannot sleep on a plane anyway. But, it would be nice to have blood-flow to my legs.
      By the way, Air France and Virgin Atlantic make these European trips more bearable than others I have flown.

No comments:

Post a Comment