WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Thursday, December 28, 2017

"Tales of The Alhambra" by Washington Irving



     Many years go my Mother-In-Law and Father-In-Law brought me a leather-bound copy of Tales of  the Alhambra  which they purchased on a trip to Granada Spain. My wife and I were both in graduate school in those days and had little or no money to buy gas for our rickety car let alone travel to Europe. But, I knew that one day we would be able to travel if we made it a priority like my wife's mom and dad did. 
     I read Washington Irving's account like I had read some other world travelers like Mark Twain and Pearl Buck. After traveling to Granada I reread Irving's book and it took on a whole new meaning. I could close my eyes and see what I had only imagined.
     Last evening I began reading a book set in the dirt poor shanties of Soweto, South Africa. Having just been there a few months ago the words took on new meaning.
      This is just another benefit of traveling. When you read Dan Brown's "The De Vinci Code" or about D-Day, having been places makes for a deeper understanding. (Photos by Mike and Marietta McLellan)

No comments:

Post a Comment