WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Monday, October 30, 2017

Tower in Verona Italy


      Let us talk about fear and traveling. Many people are scared of leaving the known of their own home and going to a far away place. I suppose that we were that way once, although lack of finances was more of a reason not to go places.
      We have gone into cities in Europe right after a bombing or riot. We have gone to places were we do not know the language or customs. We might have been in physical danger and not known it. We have driven on the "wrong" side of the road with natives and tried foods that were suspect.
     But, for the most part it is and continues to be worth it.
     The one thing, for me, that is an issue is my fear of heights. I am not fearful at 35,000 feet, but I break a sweat on bridges and towers and cliffs. The photo above is of a tower in the center of Verona, Italy. There is a elevator up and then a short flight of stairs. At the viewing platform there is a strong fence. My wife leans over and looks down. I stand in the center and consider holding on.
     Having confessed this, I still go up towers, on high bridges and to the edge of cliffs. I also try any food on a menu that I have not had before.  In Verona I ordered and ate donkey meat ragu; let me save you the trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment