WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

I've never been to Katmandu

   
Goal: 686 - The Dolomites of Italy

     About six years ago a copy of Patricia Schultz’ “1000 Places to See Before You Die” came as a gift. The book was the number one best seller on the New York Times’ list for months. It is an amazing catalog of wonderful and interesting places.
     It did not come at a good time for me. Traveling then meant going to a doctor’s appointment. I was not even sure I was not going to die before another trip to the grocery store. The gift was confusing to me.
      Now days, the volume sits on the coffee table along with Rick Steve’s “Europe Though the Back Door” and two atlases. I look them over regularly as I make plans for several trips. You see, I made it to the grocery store and other places enough to give me the courage to develop a future. 
     It is nice to have a future.
     One thousand places seemed like a large number, so I started first by checking off all those locales that I have already seen. Next I marked those places like Iraq and Afghanistan which are not prime places right now. I checked off those that don't interest me and it leaves around four hundred stops.
      Considering my life expectancy I think I can do it. Because I know that only the good die young that leaves me to grow old. I am prioritizing my list.
     Just imagining a journey can make you feel better. You do not even have to go some place to enjoy it. I do not know if I will get to those places, but considering going to them is a healthy sign and a indicator of health. It is exciting to think about possible adventures.

      Planning for the future is nearly as fun as the future itself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment