WELCOME

This blog is about the adventure of traveling and especially the interesting people that you meet. We will share stories about people and places we have encountered from around the United States, Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, Mexico, The Vatican, The Netherlands, Belgium, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, and more. This is not a travelogue -- we leave that to Rick Steves -- this is a collection of fragments in the journey of life.


SINGLE CLICK TO INCREASE SIZE OF PHOTO - THEN CLICK AGAIN TO SUPER SIZE IT... works on most photos on this blog.

HOME: http://drmikeonthego.blogspot.com/ Cut and paste for complete blog. Remember to add this to your "favorites". Share with friends. - thanks.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

When in Rome

(To my right -your left-is the street called Borgo Vittorio. Photo by Marietta McLellan. 
By the way, that is a gate to the Vatican right behind me.)

      The Borgo Vittorio is a narrow and not very noteworthy street in Rome. It runs north and south with the north end dead ending into the wall of the Vatican.
      Walking along the wall people were stopping to take photos or to look over the souvenir shops or get a snack at places with English names like -- well, "Snack Bar".
      Certainly, the Vatican is an ideal place for church groupies. I am one. No matter where I go I seem to be drawn to churches and religious sites. It must be like a mechanic on holiday stopping by auto shops.
      On Borgo Vittorio, beyond the busy souvenir shop was a store that stopped me in my tracks. I did not wish to go much further. It was a large place loaded with religious equipment. To some this is Jesus Junk, to me it is the tools of my trade. There were chalices of every size, and nativity scenes, and statues (I know, we don't use  lots of statues),  and vestments. They had pectoral crosses and most people have no idea what that is. I do.
       My wife nearly had to drag me back to the Vatican.
      If you are ever in Rome near the Vatican, skip the pictures of St. Jerome painted on velvet and head on over to Borgo Vittorio.

No comments:

Post a Comment